Founded in 2006, Wix provides a cloud-based website builder that allows its users to get up and running with a beautiful website with as little hassle as possible.
Over the years, Wix has grown to serve 110 million users spread across 190 countries. Wix strives to provide a product that appeals to almost everyone, regardless of whether you are an artist, entrepreneur/small business owner, bride, or student.
Wix keeps all the complex, “techy” processes behind the curtain, so you are left with a simple, fun, and code-free experience.
Wix boasts the only drag-and-drop website building platform with HTML5 capabilities, over 500 designer-made templates, top-notch hosting, apps to extend the feature set and functionality of your website, and more. Most of the functionality mentioned exist in Wix’s free option, though Wix does offer several paid subscription plans that get you additional (premium) features.
Let’s take an in-depth look at what you get (free of charge!) from Wix and how it can help you create the website you are envisioning.
- Easy Drag and Drop: the Wix editor makes it easy to customize your site exactly the way you want
- Free web hosting: all sites built using Wix come with basic (but reliable) web hosting, so this is one less step you have to take care of on your own. You’ll also get a free Wix subdomain name, but you can easily purchase a custom domain and have it point to your Wix website
- Access to the App Market: the App Market is the home of free tools and services you can take advantage of to extend the functionality and feature set of your website. Some options include a photo gallery, events calendar, social media integrations, blog, and e-commerce tools (such as product catalogs and shopping carts)
Design and Build
When designing your site, Wix makes it as easy as possible to build something that is beautiful and functional. The foundation of all Wix sites is the template, and Wix currently offers over 500 different options from which you can choose. Additionally, Wix offers the following:
- Library of stock images: if you need more images for your website, you can take advantage of Wix’s stock image library, where there are millions of professional, high-resolution photos you can use free of charge
- Image Editor: Edit and improve your image, as well as optimize it so it loads as quickly as possible for your users
- Video Backgrounds: use a video (either one that you’ve created or one from Wix’s stock video library) instead of a static image as your background
- Parallax 3D Effects: add a third dimension to your site to wow your visitors
- Embed HTML Code: you are probably eager to use your newly-developed HTML chops instead of letting Wix’s drag and drop website editor do all of the heavy lifting on your behalf, so take advantage of Wix’s embed HTML code functionality. You can write HTML into the provided text editor window to extend your site’s functionality
- Single-Page Websites: rather than separating all of your content onto multiple pages, Wix makes it easy to build single-page websites that contain all of your information in separate segments
By default, all websites are mobile-friendly, so you don’t have to worry about your site looking strange if your visitors are using smartphones or tablets.
Blogging and Social Media
Blogs are very popular, and you can easily add blogging functionality to your website with Wix. You can also integrate with all of your social media accounts, letting your visitors follow you on various platforms. Such integrations also have the benefit of keeping your website content fresh without requiring you to update the website itself.
In addition, to design and content tools, you’ll get what you need to grow your website and keep track of those who are visiting and interacting with you. These tools include:
- Contact Manager: have all the details related to your contacts, customers, website members, and subscribers organized in one place
- SEO Wizard: use the right search phrases and keywords to target your visitors and improve your rankings on search engines (which results in more people coming to your site)
- Communication Tools: communicate with your visitors to build engagement and increase the likelihood they’ll return to your site
- Eventbrite: if you put on events, Eventbrite allows you to showcase and sell tickets to your event. You can also share your event easily via social media
- G Suite Email: if you’re using a custom domain with your Wix site, you can get a matching email address
If you’re looking to set up a store to sell your stuff – maybe you’re looking to see your handknit sweaters or others have expressed interest in your digital prints – Wix comes with e-commerce functionality.
You can easily create, manage, and promote your online store, accept payments using any number of payment methods (such as PayPal, credit cards, offline payments, and more). Wix also comes with calculators for things like shipping and location-based taxes.
Finally, you can also create a mobile app for your online store instantly. More and more people are shopping using their mobile devices, so you won’t want to miss out on these users.
While all of the features we listed in this article are around for good, Wix is a product that’s constantly evolving. You can expect regular updates to the platform.
Customer Service and Technical Support
You can get in touch with the Wix customer service team 24/7.
In terms of self-help resources, Wix offers the following:
- Walkthroughs: step-by-step video guides that show you how to do something from the beginning to the end
- Knowledge Base: search for answers to your questions in Wix’s in-depth, well-maintained knowledge base
Pricing and Billing
Wix offers a completely free option, so if you’re on a strict (read: nonexistent) budget, you can still set up a beautiful, functional website. However, if you’d like a bit more, Wix offers five different premium plans from which you can choose. Here’s an overview of your options:
The entry-level option ups your bandwidth maximum to 1 GB and storage to 500 MB. You’ll also be able to connect a custom domain to your account, but you will still see Wix advertisements on your page.
The mid-range plans add things like increased storage and bandwidth maximums, free domain names, and the removal of Wix advertisements from your website.
The high-end plans, which seem to be targeted more toward individual entrepreneurs or small business owners, get you everything we’ve already mentioned, plus marketing and advertising credits, premium apps for use with your website, support for e-commerce, and priority support (including faster response times). You’ll also get a site review to ensure that everything is in tip-top shape.
Mailboxes and Domain Names
In addition to premium website building plans, Wix sells email services and acts as a domain registrar.
Domain Name-Related Services
If you don’t have a custom domain name, you can purchase one from Wix (Wix sells domains and allows you to choose your extension from a list of 33 – if you don’t want to use
.net, you can certainly pick a more unique option). If you do have one, and you want to use it with your new Wix website, the Wix team can help you transfer your domain name from your host.
Wix also sells domain privacy, which means that your personal information (name, address, phone number, and so on) are hidden when your domain is registered in public records.
Wix sells email services so you can get an email address whose domain matches that of your website. Wix’s email services are powered by G Suite and all accounts are hosted in the Google Cloud. Your new email account comes with the following features:
- 25 GB of inbox storage
- 5 GB of cloud storage
- Calendar and Docs tools
- No inbox advertisements
- 99% uptime guarantee
- 24/7 technical support
- Mobile device management
Wix is a simple, easy-to-use website builder that is certainly a solid option for those getting started with their first website. Their robust free option means that you can get up and running with only a time investment, but you’re welcome to upgrade at a point to gain access to additional features. However, you’re not locked into the features offered by the drag and drop website editor – Wix allows you to extend the functionality of your site with your own code, so you’re certainly able to try out your new HTML skills.
Your Wix.com Review
Are you a current or past customer of Wix? Would you recommend them? Please leave your comments below and let our visitors know what you think of Wix's speed, features and customer service.