- Element of
- Learn How Fonts And Web Typography Work In HTML: A Beginner's Guide
- What does
<var> HTML Tagdo?
- The <var> element is used to identify a variable in a mathematical equation or computer program. Text marked with <var> tags is displayed in an italics font style by most browsers.
<p>The equation for any straight line can be expressed in the formula: <var>y</var> = <var>mx</var> + <var>b</var>.</p>
The equation for any straight line can be expressed in the formula: y = mx + b.
When to use
<var> element is used to identify a variable. There are at least three scenarios where use of this element is appropriate:
- To wrap variables in a mathematic equation, as shown in the code sample above.
- To identify variables in a snippet of computer programming code.
- To identify variables used in paragraph text or prose.
The first two scenarios are pretty self-explanatory, the third scenario might look something like this:
If we consume n cookies on average, every day, will need to exercise y more minutes every day to burn off those extra calories.