Network Solutions is one of the original—if not the original—domain name registrars in the United States. The company was founded in 1979 as a technology consulting company. It grew exponentially throughout the ’80s, and in the early ’90s, began registering domain names.
Since that time, Network Solutions has expanded its services to include website design, e-commerce solutions, SSL certificates, and online marketing. It still maintains its domain registration service, which actually accounts for approximately 45% of the company’s revenue. Having been around since before many Internet regulations were put in place, Network Solutions seems to have a few skeletons rattling in its closets.
Network Solutions offers a handful of fairly basic hosting plans, and a few more advanced options.
Simple Hosting Features
The three most basic Network Solutions hosting solutions come pre-packaged with other features and functions to help you get niche websites up and running quickly with little trouble.
- Web Hosting
- Website Builder for easy design
- FTP access
- Unlimited* bandwidth
- 300 GB storage
- PHP, Joomla, Drupal, and more tools available
- Web Hosting & Marketing
- Everything you get with the Web Hosting package, plus:
- Business profile listings in local search engines
- Site submission to major search engines such as Google, Bing, and Yahoo!
- Hosting, Marketing & Store
- Everything you get with Web Hosting & Marketing, plus:
- Sell products on your website
- Create promotions and offers for your customers
- Accept credit card payments
Advanced Hosting Features
If you need a little more oomph behind your site, select from one of Network Solutions’ advanced hosting plans. A little pricier than the simple hosting, but worth it for the extras you get.
- Essential, Professional, and Premium Hosting plans available
- 300 GB, 500 GB, or Unlimited* disk space, corresponding with available plan levels
- Unlimited* data transfer with all plans
- Free domain with all plans
- 1,000, 2,500 or Unlimited* email accounts, corresponding with available plan levels
- 1 GB email storage with all plans
- 25, 50 and Unlimited* FTP accounts, corresponding with available plan levels
*As a rule, “unlimited” in the context of shared hosting generally denotes “limitless until you negatively impact server performance, at which point you may be billed or transferred to a more costly service tier.”
Virtual Private Server (VPS) Hosting Features
A step up from the Advanced Hosting, VPS hosting from Network Solutions gives you the power of a dedicated server for a lower price. You can choose to pay for either plan on a month-to-month basis, or for periods of one, two, three, five, or ten years. The longer the term, the lower the monthly cost.
- Essential and Professional plans available
- 10 GB or 50 GB storage, corresponding with available plan levels
- 500 GB or 2,000 GB data transfer, corresponding with available plan levels
- 1 dedicated IP address with each plan
- Full root-level control
- CentOS with both plans
- 1 free domain with each plan
- Free domain name with all plans
- 50 or 200 email accounts, corresponding with available plan levels
- 24/7 tech support
- 30-day limited money-back guarantee with both plans
- Numerous options and prices points to choose from
- Network Solutions has been involved in some controversies regarding domain registration practices. This is true of any host, or any company with which you’re considering doing business—it’s always a good idea to do a little homework before you sign up or pay for anything.