MyHosting.com is focused on providing shared, Virtual Private Server (VPS), and email hosting solutions for its customers.
In business since 1997, this Canadian company eschews high-end dedicated hosting in favor of customizable, modular plans that allow customers to add as many—or as few—extra features as they like.
MyHosting offers two kinds of Web hosting (Shared and VPS), both of which can be upgraded with an assortment of power enhancements, additional features, and security options. The company also provides dedicated email-only hosting, based on Microsoft Exchange servers (the basic email hosting plan is included with any Web hosting plan).
At the shared hosting level, MyHosting.com offers three plans, all of which except for the most basic (Personal) are available on either a Windows or Linux server.
- Free domain name
- Unlimited* domains and sub-domains
- Unlimited* drive space
- Unlimited* data transfer/bandwidth
- 1 or 2 MS SQL databases (Windows servers on the Business and eCommerce levels only)
- 100% uptime guarantee
- Secure Socket Layer (SSL) support (optional)
- Dedicated IP address (optional with Personal plan)>
- Basic Exchange Email (includes 10, 20, or 50 email accounts), with support for both webmail and mobile email (POP3 and IMAP)
- Free 24/7 customer support via email/chat/phone
- 50 GB of personal backup each month
- Automatic daily server backups
- FTP support for up to five users
- Proprietary user control panel (comparable to cPanel)
- A one-click installer for WordPress, Drupal, Joomla! and more.
- Template-based site builder with support for 1, 2 or 3 sites based on plan level
- Full support for:
- eCommerce (Magneto, Zen Cart, CubeCart; “Premium” eCommerce is included with the eCommerce plan and can be upgraded for an additional fee)
- PHP 5
- Ruby on Rails
- Server-Side Includes (SSI) (Business and eCommerce plans only)
- ASP.Net (Windows only)
- Silverlight (Windows only)
- Multimedia streaming
*As a rule, “unlimited” in the context of shared hosting generally denotes “limitless until you negatively impact server performance, at which point you may be billed or transferred to a more costly service tier.”
MyHosting.com's shared plans feature a 30-day money-back guarantee, and a pledge to answer phone calls within two minutes and emails within one hour.
You can add features like premium support, enhanced HTML and Web design packages, and enhanced security to your plans as well for additional fees.
MyHosting.com also offers dedicated application hosting (with managed applications and enhanced support) for WordPress, Drupal, Joomla! and Moodle. These packages include a standard hosting plan and are priced between $25 and $61 a month.
tinkering and sticker-shock.
Virtual Private Server (VPS) Hosting Features
VPS hosting is the primary focus of MyHosting.com, and they offer eight different packages (four each for Linux-based and Windows-based servers)—Custom, Developer, Business, and Reseller—all of which are highly customizable.
- Your own virtual Linux or Windows server, with:
- The same standard features available in shared plans
- Full root access to your server for application installation/customization
- Up to 1 GB of dedicated RAM (more memory may be purchased for an additional fee)
- Up to 40 GB of storage space (more storage is available for purchase)
- Up to 16 (Linux) or 4 (Windows) processors (fees may apply)
- Up to 600 GB of monthly bandwidth (more bandwidth is available for purchase)
- Up to 2 dedicated IP addresses (additional IPs available for purchase)
- Support for Virtuozzo, Plesk and cPanel/WHMCS (fees and configurations vary)
- MS SQL Server (Windows only, 10 GB)
- Server-Side Includes (SSI)
- Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificate (Reseller level only)
As with shared hosting, these plans offer upgrades for power, security, support, and applications. All service upgrades, application upgrades, and server upgrades carry additional fees.
MyHosting.com adds a service level agreement (SLA) at the VPS level to complement its 30-day money-back guarantee.
Email Hosting Features
If you already have a Web host, or just need email hosting, MyHosting.com’s email plans may be just what you’re looking for. Split into three packages—Basic, Mobile, and Mobile + Outlook—these plans offer flexible and fully-featured email support.
- Your own domain name and Microsoft Exchange server, with:
- Outlook Web Access
- Up to 4 GB of email storage per mailbox
- Support for POP3 and IMAP
- Free Outlook 2010 license per user (Mobile + Outlook plan only)
- Support for BlackBerry integration (additional fees may apply)
- Mobile ActiveSync support (Mobile and Mobile + Outlook plans only)
- Spam filtering and built-in anti-virus
- Automated recovery backups
- ”Business-ready” email archiving (additional fees may apply)
- 24/7/365 support via phone/email/chat
Like MyHosting.com’s Web hosting tiers, email plans can be upgraded with more robust support plans and enhanced application support (additional fees apply). They're also covered by the company’s 30-day money-back guarantee.
MyHosting.com has garnered numerous awards and certifications for their VPS hosting and continues to rank as an industry leader in both the tech and customized hosting arenas.
The number of upgrades and add-ons is, in a word, vast. In fact, all of the customizations can get a little overwhelming, which is why the company’s 24/7/365 managed support policy (particularly at the VPS level) is a welcome one.
The dedicated email hosting plans are quite affordable, and the inclusion of a free domain makes this a turnkey solution for those looking to set up an email for their business in a jiffy.
Prices for all plans are on the low end for their respective tiers (with the exception of email, which has pricing that’s fairly run-of-the-mill), and even with added costs for additional memory, storage and bandwidth, should remain competitive (barring extensive upgrades or hefty fees for enhanced services or software).
The company's 30-day money-back guarantee is in line with most competitors’ offerings, and the addition of a prorated SLA at the VPS level sweetens the pot just a bit.
MyHosting.com offers myriad configurations and a legion of add-ons and enhancements. However, all this flexibility comes at a price, and some standard features are a la carte add-ons here. The Windows hosting plans, in particular, have some fairly pricey licensing fees (which are, to be fair, set by Microsoft and not MyHosting.com).
In addition, the base configurations at the VPS level are a bit underpowered compared to some competitors, and while it’s nice not to have to pay for more resources than you’re likely to use, those who come expecting an out-of-the-box Web hosting solution might be in for both unforeseen tinkering and sticker-shock.
If you’re looking for dedicated email hosting or want to control just about every aspect of your VPS hosting experience, from processors to plug-ins, then MyHosting.com is a good choice. Be sure, however, to keep an eye on a la carte services, applications and enhancements that can add some unwelcome “customizations” to your monthly hosting budget.
Your Review of MyHosting.com
Are you a current or past customer of MyHosting.com? Would you recommend them? Please leave your comments below and let our visitors know what you think of MyHosting.com's speed, features and customer service.