You've probably heard of Bluehost: it's one of the most popular web hosting services around — it powers over 2 million websites on the internet — and for good reason.
In addition to being inexpensive and easy to use, it integrates well with WordPress, one of the most popular content management systems in the world today.
Available Hosting Plans
Bluehost offers several types of hosting plans. As someone just getting started, you might be interested in the shared hosting plans. They're an inexpensive option, and sufficient to support your website in the early stages. You get the hosting you need, a custom domain name, and email inboxes as part of the package.
When choosing a shared hosting plan, you can choose from three different options.
The entry-level option includes support for one website. You'll also get 50 GB of disk space for your web site's files, a domain name, and five email accounts, each of which can store up to 100 MB. There are no bandwidth limits and no restrictions on the number of people who can visit your website.
If you opt for one of the more expensive plans instead, you will be able to host an unlimited number of websites and receive unlimited disk storage space, bandwidth, email accounts, and storage. You'll get a custom domain name, and if you purchase the premium option, you'll also get daily site backup services.
Other advanced features that come with Bluehost's shared plans include multi-server management, multiple accounts, access control, and the use of a Content Delivery Network.
Bluehost also offers optional add-ons, such as website security tools and spam filtering services. Premium subscribers get automatic backup services, SSL certificates, domain privacy, and unique IP addresses, but if you have a lower-tiered package, you can add these features to your purchase.
Bluehost users can manage their website using Enhanced cPanel, a Bluehost-modified version of the cPanel system. The Enhanced cPanel includes additional tools that make it easier and more intuitive for you to manage your websites, domains, emails, files, and more.
Additional Hosting Options
Bluehost offers the Go PRO option, which allows you to get shared hosting on a high-performance server. You'll also receive a dedicated IP address, an SSL certificate, domain privacy facilities, and site backup services.
These options are not necessary when you're first getting started, but they may be something to look into as your site grows.
WordPress, Cloud, WooCommerce and Other Advanced Options
If you find your project is outgrowing your shared hosting plan, you may need to upgrade to a plan that supports larger sites and higher levels of traffic. Thankfully, Bluehost offers such plans, meaning you can upgrade without moving to a different host.
Depending on the type of plan you have in mind, you might be able to do so with just a few clicks in your control panel — you may not even have to speak with someone at Bluehost at all.
Currently, Bluehost offers the following options:
- Cloud Sites: Cloud Sites are hosted in Bluehost's cloud environment. You can choose a shared, VPS, or dedicated cloud hosting plan. The benefits of cloud-based hosting include built-in redundancy so you're less likely to see downtime, faster speeds, easy-to-use cloud management tools, and easy upgrade facilities in the event that you see an increase in traffic levels.
- WordPress Hosting: You can run WordPress sites on any of Bluehost's plans, but the company also offers WordPress-specific options. These are essentially managed VPS plans designed so that WordPress sites run as efficiently as possible. You'll manage your server using a specially-designed control panel that mimics WordPress', and you get bonuses like content delivery network (CDN) usage, website security tools, and a free SSL certificate.
- WooCommerce Hosting: WooCommerce is an e-commerce platform for WordPress, and this particular type of hosting is designed with online stores in mind. In particular, you'll get additional security features that ensure that your site complies with laws protecting consumers from fraud and unauthorized access to personal information, such as credit card numbers and billing addresses.
- VPS Hosting: Bluehost offers VPS plans, which you might find appropriate for your needs if your website is large. Bluehost's VPS plans are fully managed, which means that it is responsible for everything related to server system administration. There are three different plans from which you can choose, and the plans differ primarily in terms of resources.
- Dedicated Hosting: If you want your own server with complete control over performance, security, and everything else, a dedicated server is the best option. Similar to the VPS plans, Bluehost offers three different dedicated servers available from which you can choose. Each differs in the number of resources you get. While you're responsible for almost everything relating to your server, you can reach out to the Bluehost team 24/7 for assistance.
Typically, it takes some time for VPS and dedicated servers to be provisioned, but Bluehost offers instant provisioning. This means that you don't have to wait for your package to be prepared — you can get started setting up your site in its new home right away.
Reseller Hosting Packages
Currently, Bluehost doesn't offer a reseller hosting option, so if this is what you're looking to build, Bluehost recommends that you look into their partner platform, ResellerClub.
If you're not ready to start your website, but you want to hold on to the domain name of your choice, Bluehost sells domain names independent of web hosting packages.
BlueHost costs just $3.49/month. Don't forget – BlueHost offers a 30-day money-back guarantee too. Don’t miss out!
Bluehost maintains a robust series of self-help articles that are easily searchable. You can also read through its curated guides or view its video tutorials. However, if you'd prefer to speak to somebody at Bluehost, you can get in touch 24/7 via its website, initiating a live chat, or by calling the company's support telephone lines.
Fine Print, Terms and Conditions
Bluehost allows users to access a wide range of products and services. As with all companies, there are terms and conditions involved. Here are some important stats to bear in mind if you decide to sign up:
Bandwidth Allowance: Unlimited
Money-back guarantee: 30 Days
Pricing starts at $2.75 / month
Costs and Pricing
The price you pay for your web hosting package varies based on the type of plan you choose.
Regardless, Bluehost asks that you pay upfront for 12, 24, 36, or 60 months of service upfront. The longer your contract, the greater your discount, so those paying up front for 60 months of service pay the lowest amount each month.
If you're not certain that Bluehost is the right option for you, the company offers a 30-day money back guarantee. If you decide to cancel your subscription within 30 days of purchase, you can receive a full refund, less the cost of your domain name.
Is Bluehost Right for Me?
Bluehost is a well-known provider of web hosting services and offers a wide variety of plans to meet your needs. Regardless of whether you want to start small or whether you're interested in a dedicated server for your large, highly-trafficked website, Bluehost has an option for you.
If you're just getting started, you can't go wrong with one of Bluehost's shared plans. These plans are full-featured offerings at a great price, and if you ever need help, there are tons of self-help resources, as well as a customer service team available 24/7.
Furthermore, the team at Bluehost has attempted to make server management, which is something that can potentially be daunting to those setting up a website for the first time, easier with its Enhanced cPanel.
Not sure that Bluehost is right for you? Bluehost offers a 30-day money back guarantee so that you can try its services risk-free. Be sure to use our affiliate link to save on your purchase of a hosting package.
BlueHost offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try before you buy. Use our link for an exclusive discount.
Your Bluehost Review
Are you a former or current Bluehost customer? Following your experience, would you recommend them to your nearest and dearest? How do they perform in terms of speed, features, and customer service? Please leave your thoughts in the comment box below and let us know what you think.