Landing Page Design Toolbox: 100 Tools, Tips & Resources
So your search engine optimization and carefully chosen keywords have paid off and you’ve gotten visitors to your site. This is great, but your battle is only half won if you haven’t taken the time to properly design and structure your landing page. Ideally, your landing page should be a place where you can get visitors to do what you want, whether that be buy a product, click on links, or even just read through information without having to do any additional work. There are a number of things that you can do to improve your site’s page. Here’s a list of 100 resources that can help you get on the road to building better landing pages.
Learn everything you need to know about landing pages from the basics to how to make the most of yours with these informative articles on the subject.
- Vocabulary: Landing Page: Seth Godin gives a simple intro into landing pages and what you should be designing yours to do.
- Creating Landing Pages That Convert: This article by Bryan Eisenberg for ClickZ tells you what questions your landing page should be able to answer in order to be successful.
- Advice on Landing Pages from the Experts: Get a little guidance from the best in the business with this article from SEOMoz. You’ll get landing page advice from Jon Mendez of OTTO Digital and Bryan Eisenberg of FutureNow on improving your landing page success.
- 10 Landing Page Optimization Tactics: Marketer Larry Chase shares his advice on what works and what doesn’t and the knowledge that landing pages should be designed just as carefully as the ads that bring customers to them.
- 9 Common Mistakes in Landing Page and PPC Campaign Design: Lots of articles tell you what you should do, but this one focuses on what not to do when designing landing pages.
- Create Killer Landing Pages: Here you’ll find a detailed article on creating landing pages and it even contains examples so you can see a visual representation of what to do.
- Landing Page Makeover Clinic: Think your landing page needs a makeover? Try contacting blogger Roberta Rosenberg to see if she can help you, or check out examples of how other sites get makeovers.
- Creating Effective Landing Pages: Taming the Beast put together this comprehensive article on landing pages. Learn the basics as well as some guidelines to follow when developing pages.
- Landing Page Confusion: Get scientific analysis of the effectiveness of different landing pages with this informative case study.
- Top 10 Incredibly Stupid Landing Page Blunders Revealed: Don’t let your page be one of these unfortunate mistakes. Learn what to avoid with this list of ten landing page blunders.
- Organic Landing Pages: A Case Study: Business to Business marketers are missing out on a hefty chunk of business by not optimizing landing pages for organic search engines. This case study will show you how to remedy that problem.
- What Widgets Can Do for Landing Pages: Find out how adding widgets to your landings pages can increase conversions for more generic search terms.
- A 10-point Checklist for Landing Page Design: Improving your site doesn’t get much simpler than this. Go through this checklist to make sure your landing page meets these basic requirements.
- Benefits of Landing Page Optimization: Still in doubt about needing to step up your landing page? This article shows the numbers behind the optimization game.
- Hitting the Landing Page Optimization Wall: Have you done everything you can to improve your landing pages but just can’t seem to pinpoint what you need to improve? The frustration can be overwhelming, but read this article before throwing in the towel.
- Testing Your Landing Page: This article from SEO Today will go over why landing page testing is important and how you can go about testing your site.
- Landing Pages: Why?: Not sure why you should care about landing pages? Take a look at this article from Rank for Sales to see what landing pages can do for you.
- Landing Page Optimization Using the Taguchi Method: All those optimization tests are just fun with numbers, you can actually put them into action. This article from Offermatica shows how you can use the results of a Taguchi test to optimize a landing page.
- Tracking and Reporting Conversions: Learn how and what you should be keeping track of on your landing page to make sure it’s doing its job.
- Landing Page Optimization Techniques Lower Acquisition Costs: This article from Conversion Chronicles shows how creating a good landing page can actually save you money on marketing.
How-tos and Guides
Get a little helpful assistance in turning your landing pages into even more profitable ventures with these easy-to-follow guides.
- 11 Ways to Improve Landing Pages: This guide from Digital Web magazine gives a great background on landing page design as well as providing a list of tips on how you can make your landing pages even better.
- How To Write An Effective Landing Page: Find some useful advice on Business Know-How about designing landing pages that work. Find tips on everything from capturing data to how to write the copy.
- Landing Page Quick Reference Guide: Here you’ll find information on every element of landing page design like page layout, writing style, and even some common mistakes to avoid.
- 3 Steps to Customized Landing Pages: Designing landing pages may not seem simple, but these 3 steps to success from iMedia Connection can make a big improvement in your site.
- How to Promote Your Landing Page and Get Traffic Fast: Having a great landing page won’t matter a bit if no one can find it. Use this how-to to get the word out to search engines and visitors about your site.
- 5 Ways to Improve Your Landing Pages Right Now: Need some quick advice on how to make immediate changes to your landing pages? Check out this article for 5 tips on possible improvements.
- Landing Page Guide: This article from Covenant Designs gives some components of a good landing page as well as some ideas of what might work best.
- How to Write a Landing Page: Not sure where to begin when writing a landing page? This how-to can get you started in thinking about it in the right way.
- A Pick-Up Artist’s Guide to Landing Pages: Think picking guys or girls up at the bar has nothing to do with landing page design? This article shows you how they might have more in common than you think.
- How to Create a Landing Page to Capture Emails and Boost Sales: This extensive guide can give you guidance on how put together every part of your landing page from the software you’ll need to writing great headlines.
- The Perfect Landing Page: This extensive article will give you the basics you need to create a great or even perfect landing page for your site.
- How to Make a Good Landing Page: Use these five guidelines from Kevin Fleming to determine if your landing page is doing all it can to bring in business.
- How to: Create a Landing Page for Your TypePad Blog: Blogs can be a great way to interact with customers and market almost anything, so why not make some landing pages for them? This guide will give you step-by-step instructions for creating landing pages in TypePad.
- How to Develop a Landing Page Framework: This article can give you some things to think about before ever even creating a landing page.
- How to Adjust Your Landing Pages for Search: Creating a good landing page is important, especially when users find your site randomly through search engines. This article will give you some insight into how you page should read to avoid confusing visitors.
Find dozens of simple and painless landing page improvement tips on these sites.
- Top Landing Page Tips from the Pros: This set of tips from Seldom Static pulls in advice from the biggest experts all over the Web to one convenient location.
- Seven Tips for Effective Landing Pages: Blogger Jeanne Jennings lays out seven tips that can help turn a dud of a landing page into a success.
- Ten Tips for Lead Generating Landing Pages: This article by VP of marketing Jon Miller tells you how to maximize your landing page to generate more business to business leads.
- Seal the Deal: 10 Tips for Writing the Ultimate Landing Page: Copyblogger guest blogger Roberta Rosenberg shares her expertise in creating effective and persuasive landing pages with these ten tips.
- Landing Page Success Tips: This article on WikiHow gives four basic tips on making your landing page visitors into customers.
- 10 Tips for Product Landing Pages: If your landing pages are designed to sell a product to customers these tips can be useful in creating the ideal landing page with enough information to intrigue buyers but not so much to overwhelm them.
- 7 Tips on Writing a Website Landing Page Sequence: This article addresses not only how to make your landing page better but how to improve the pages that follow as well.
- Five Tips for Writing Landing Page Copy That Increases Conversion Rates: A big part of your landing page is the copy that it contains so don’t let it go by the wayside. Use these tips to improve your marketing effectiveness.
- 5 Tips for Healthy Landing Pages: Afraid your landing pages might be ailing? Use these simple tips from iMedia to bring them back.
- 8 Essential Tips to Boost Your Landing Page Conversion Rates: The purpose of a landing page is to increase conversion rates so make sure yours is doing its job with these tips.
- Top Ten Landing Page Tips to Drive Action: Landing pages can be very valuable assets to ecommerce, so use these ten tips to make them as effective as they can be.
- Good Landing Site Design Tips: How your landing page looks and reads plays a big role in how likely people are going to be to click on what you want them to. These design tips can help to get you on the right track.
- 5 Easy Tips to Create Landing Pages That Convert: The whole point of a landing page is to turn visitors that are just browsers into subscribers or buyers, so check out these 5 tips to improve your success rate.
- 8 Tips for a Stronger Call to Action: Ultimately your landing page should be motivating a visitor to do something. Increase the strength of that motivation by using these tips from EmailLabs.
- Inside Tips On Creating A Successful Landing Page: Get some insider info on creating landing pages that work from WebOneUK.
If you’re serious about building a better landing page, try adding these landing page and optimization blogs to your feed or daily reads.
- The Site is Dead: This blog from Matthew Roche is chock full of articles that can help your optimize your landing pages.
- SiteTuners: This blog is dedicated to helping readers increase their conversion rates by improving their landing pages.
- GrokDotCom: Learn to optimize your marketing strategy through your landing pages with this blog from FutureNow.
- No More Landing Pages: Landing pages aren’t for everyone. Get advice on alternatives on this blog or some advice on how to fix up your existing landing pages so that they’re more effective.
- Optimize and Prophetise: Jonathan Mendez gives some advice on landing page optimization and other SEO topics on this informative blog.
- Fluid Convergence: This blog is an invaluable resource for those wishing to improve their landing pages. It has posts on case studies, basic concepts, and best practices.
- Invesp Blog: Learn how to improve your conversion rate and your copy writing skills with this blog.
- The Conversion Doctor: Get some advice and tips on fixing up your site to boost your conversion rate on this blog by Eric Graham.
- AWeber Communications Blog: This blog from company AWeber has tons of articles and tips on marketing, improving websites, and even a few useful case studies.
- Bitemark Conversion Rate Blog: Learn all about issues related to marketing, conversions and Web design on this blog.
Landing Page Tools
Here’s a collection of tools that can help you design, build and test your new landing page.
- Google Content Experiments: Try out Google’s experiments testing tool to see if your landing page is up to snuff.
- PageVester: This app makes creating great landing pages easy by integrating Google Page Creator tools and Google AdWords code.
- PageLab: This tool from SiteLab allows you to run A/B tests on your landing page. The service does have a fee, but you can get a month free to try it out.
- SiteSpect: If you’re a larger company, SiteSpect might be a better choice for optimization testing. Companies can get A/B and multivariate testing done as well as a range of other site tests.
- Verster: Verster will allow you to run a large variety of tests on your site, from the standard tests to Response Element and Variable Rate testing. Even better, you can get a 14 day free trial of the service.
- Landing Page Testing: Love math and statistics? This site gives detailed instructions on how to do conversion calculations to analyze your site. Not for the math-phobic.
- Master Landing Page Templates: You can use these various templates from Mequoda Daily as a starting place to design your landing pages.
- Web Page Analyzer: This tool measures the loading speed of your site. This can be important for landing pages where what loads first and overall speed can make a big difference in conversion rates.
- W3 Semantic Extractor: Landing page performing poorly on optimization tests? Try using this tool to see how semantically rich your site is and get some ideas on how you can improve it to bring in more search engine traffic.
- Website Conversion Rate Calculator: Use this simple calculator to get an idea of your website’s conversion rate and how you can improve it to get more business.
Conversion Companies and Consultants
Sometimes it helps to turn to the professionals for big or complicated projects. These companies specialize in making landing pages great and improving conversion rates.
- SiteTuners: Site tuners specializes in more large scale conversion testing, offering A/B and Taguchi Testing as well as specialized testing for larger clients.
- Kefta: Another company geared towards larger businesses, Kefta focuses on conversion testing and custom content development for corporate websites.
- Offermatica: One of the better known names in online retail conversion testing, Offermatica provides a wide range of testing possibilities as well as a few different ways of paying for their services.
- Conversion Rate Experts: This UK based consulting company offers both free (in the form of a newsletter and report) and paid advice on their site about how to increase conversions.
- Optimost: Optimost offers A-B split and Multivariate/Taguchi testing for customers wanting to improve conversion rates.
- FutureNow: FutureNow uses its customized “persuasion architecture” consulting to help you design websites and landing pages that will perform better for you.
- Interactive Marketing: This consulting company offers Web optimization and design help and will even perform a website makeover if you’d like.
- WebSite Optimization: If higher speed and traffic are your concerns this consulting company promises to deliver results.
- LunaMetrics: LunaMetrics is a Web analytics and metrics company that can provide consulting advice on improving your conversion rate, among many other things.
- Webshare: This Web marketing firm specializes in search engine optimization and conversion marketing and offers a wide variety of testing options.
Webpage Analytics Tools
Monitor your landing pages with these analytics tools so you’ll know what’s working for you and what you need to improve.
- Google Analytics: By far the most popular analytics tools, Google Analytics has everything you need to break down your website’s stats. And best of all, it’s totally free.
- SiteMeter: SiteMeter is a popular free site analysis tool that can provide tracking data as well as detailed statistics about the visitors to your site.
- ClickHeat: If you love heatmaps then ClickHeat will appeal to you right away. It tracks where visitors click on your page showing which zones are most popular.
- FireClick: FireClick is a comprehensive analytics service that will give you data on almost every element of your site. It isn’t free, but you’ll only pay if your conversion rate improves.
- ClickTale: Spy on visitors to your site with ClickTale. The program records the actions and activity of visitors in videos which can be used to increase the usability of a site.
- Clicky: Clicky is a simple and all-inclusive analytics tool designed to be used with smaller websites and blogs. It’s easy-to-use and can generate data on content as well as visitors to your site.
- CrazyEgg: CrazyEgg gives users the ability to track, evaluate and eventually optimize your site based on the data the tool generates from where users click. Heatmaps and overlays provide useful visual representations of these user preferences as well.
- whos.amung.us: Want to know who’s on your site at all times? This tool is a real time visitor counter, which displays the number of visitors on your site at any time.
- 103Bees: A long tail tracker, 103Bees focuses on search engine analysis and statistics in real time to help optimize your site with search engines.
- Enquisite: This tool focuses specifically on incoming search engine and pay-per-click traffic. Possible statistics include page position, landing pages, and specific geographic data on visitors.
Add these titles to your library so you can keep up with the latest in landing page optimization wherever you are.
- Don’t Make Me Think: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability: This book by Steve Krug offers Web developers a common sense approach to integrating usability into their Web design. Readers will learn how to design pages that are so easy to use that visitors won’t even have to think.
- Permission Marketing: Turning Strangers Into Friends And Friends Into Customers: Marketing guru Seth Godin offers his advice in this book on how to improve your conversions and turn those casual visitors to your site into lifelong customers.
- Submit Now: Designing Persuasive Websites: Andrew Chuk describes how great Web design isn’t enough in this book. He explains how to create sites that are more effective in turning browsers into buyers.
- Waiting for Your Cat to Bark?: Persuading Customers When They Ignore Marketing: Bryan and Jeffery Eisenburg teamed up to write this guide on persuading customers. They go through every details of the process so you’ll know just how to start implementing the process on your site.
- Call to Action: Secret Formulas to Improve Online Results: Another Eisenburg book, this one covers just how to go about improving the conversion rates on your site and how to make your site work better for you.
- Designing Web Usability : The Practice of Simplicity: Jakob Nielson explains how to design sites that actually accomplish what they set out to do whether that be to educate, entertain or sell products.
- How to Develop a Landing Page: Dr. Ralph Wilson gives step by step advice in this book on how to build a better landing page.
- The Copywriter’s Handbook: Make the most of what you’re saying on your landing page to draw in visitors with this handbook by Robert Bly.
- Actionable Web Analytics: Using Data to Make Smart Business Decisions: This multi-author book helps you to better use analytics tools to design a website that is more usable and more profitable.
- Do It Wrong Quickly: How the Web Changes Old Marketing Rules: Learn what not to do when marketing and how to more effectively sell your products online in this book by Mike Moran.