While many hosting providers attempt to set themselves above the competition with low prices and claims of limitless bandwidth and storage, InMotion Hosting has positioned itself as a provider with a strong focus on dedicated, comprehensive customer service.
With competitive pricing, three tiers of hosting—shared, Virtual Private Server (VPS), and dedicated—available, and add-on services like Web design and managed hosting, InMotion is a solid choice for anyone looking for outstanding customer support as well as reliable hosting for their site.
InMotion’s three levels of hosting will be familiar to anyone who’s ever shopped for a site. The shared hosting option (which the company calls “Business Hosting”) has the standard suite of entry-level features (although it subverts the usual “unlimited everything” routine with its lowest-cost plans), while the VPS and dedicated hosting plans offer support for extra services as well as greater power and customization.
All three tiers are split into various plans, sorted by cost, features and power.
Business Hosting Features
- Free domain registration or transfer
- Unlimited* monthly data transfer
- Unlimited* storage space
- Support for up to 25 websites on a single account.
- Support for up to 26 parked domains and 100 subdomains
- Unlimited* subdomains with the “Pro” package
- Unlimited* parked domains with the “Pro” package
- Drag-and-drop website builder
- Support for secured IMAP email accounts and webmail
- Content Management Software(CMS) support (e.g., WordPress, Joomla, Drupal)
- Free 24/7, U.S.-based support via email, phone and chat
- Hundreds of “one-click install” applications and scripts via Softaculous
- SSL secure server
- Support for up to 200 MySQL databases
- E-commerce tools
- OS Commerce
- Multimedia support (including streaming media)
- Full support for:
- PHP (PHP HyperText Preprocessor) 5
- Perl 5
- Ruby on Rails
- Microsoft® Frontpage™ extensions
- SSH (Secure Shell)
* As a rule, “unlimited” in the context of shared hosting generally denotes “limitless until you negatively impact server performance, at which point you may be billed or transferred to a more costly service tier.”
In addition to the standard feature set, InMotion offers a free backup service, a promise to provide “green” hosting by reducing the carbon footprint of their server facilities, and top-notch Premier Support™ customer service with even the most basic of their plans.
Business Hosting plans are covered by an “industry-leading” 90-day money-back guarantee.
Virtual Private Server (VPS) Hosting Features
- Your own virtual server, with:
- Up to 2 GB of dedicated RAM
- Up to 3 GB of “burstable” RAM*
- Up to 160 GB of storage space**
- Up to 2.5 TB of monthly traffic
- Up to 10 dedicated IP addresses
- SSH (Secure Shell) support
- Total root access for your server
- Select managed hosting features, including:
- Free automatic backup (up to 10 GB)
- Server updates and patches
- Support for enhanced cPanel configuration options
- Monitoring of all server activity to help reduce and prevent malicious attacks
- Hardware maintenance and upgrades
*“Burstable” RAM is on-demand memory used to deal with unexpected spikes in usage.
**Disk space is backed up in real time via a Redundant Array of Independent Disks (RAID).
In addition to a more powerful server and advanced managed hosting features, VPS hosting customers also have access to all of the standard hosting options. You’ll also gain access to Launch Assist™, InMotion’s server configuration service (additional fees apply).
VPS hosting plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee, but this guarantee is extended to 90 days if you purchase six months or a year of hosting.
Dedicated Hosting Features
Unlike Business or VPS hosting, InMotion’s dedicated hosting plans are split into two tiers with multiple plans each. Three are for power users, and two are specifically designed for commercial-grade installations.
- Your own physical server, with:
- An Intel® processor with up to four cores, running at 3.3 GHz/second (dedicated plans)
- An Intel® Xeon™ processor with up to 12 cores, running at 2.2 GHz/second (commercial plans)
- Up to 8 GB of RAM (dedicated plans)
- Up to 32 GB of RAM (commercial plans)
- Up to 500 GB of storage space (2 drives configured via RAID, dedicated plans)
- Up to 1.2 TB of storage space (3 drives configured via RAID-5, commercial plans)
- Up to 8 TB of monthly traffic (dedicated plans)
- Up to 10 TB of monthly traffic (commercial plans)
- Up to 15 dedicated IP addresses (dedicated and commercial plans)
- Total root access for your server
- Individual custom firewall
- Two (dedicated) or four (commercial) hours of premium Launch Assist support each month
- SSH support
Choosing a plan from the dedicated or commercial tiers gives you incredible power for application development, eCommerce, and multimedia on your site. InMotion’s service-oriented business model is never more apparent than it is with the plans in these premium tiers, and with good reason: high-level power and flexibility come at an equally lofty price.
Both the dedicated and commercial tiers feature a 30-day money-back guarantee.
InMotion has been endorsed by CNET for over a decade, and has garnered the Better Business Bureau’s top rating.
The company’s prices for shared and VPS hosting are competitive; its features and perks are robust; and its stated commitment to outstanding customer service and support is manifest in its bevy of award-winning ancillary services.
Even the greenest Internet neophyte would be hard-pressed to walk away without a professional website after working with the InMotion team.
The inclusion of a three-month money-back guarantee at the shared level gives customers who are on a budget or just starting out on the Web some real peace of mind.
While the company’s commitment to customer service is admirable, you should pay close attention to any additional fees accompanying their suite of enhanced services.
For example, the “free” backup and restoration service is limited to once every four months (a $49 fee will be applied if you need more than one in that time), and sites with over 10 GB will not be backed up at all (however, backups are available for an additional, unnamed fee).
Also, unlike some of its peers, InMotion does not specify the CPU allotment in its VPS plans, instead touting the flexible performance of its “Max Speed Zone” technology. In addition, the variable RAM allotment means that even with “bursting,” your site may take you over your assigned limits during periods of peak demand; the fine print warns that “consistent usage over the dedicated memory allotment may require an upgrade to a more robust [i.e., more costly] package.”
Whichever plan you choose, take advantage of InMotion’s demonstrated commitment to excellent customer service to ensure your plan meets your needs while staying within your budget.