Dotster Review: Do Or Don't For Your Web Hosting?
Dotster is a web hosting company that provides hosting, domain registration, and various tools to help small- to medium-sized businesses market themselves online and enhance online brand management. Dotster is also one of the world’s largest domain name registrars, with millions of customers worldwide.
Dotster is also a “green” eco-friendly web host who prioritizes sustainable business practices, including:
- purchasing renewable wind energy credits equal to 150% of the power required for their web hosting servers
- purchasing renewable energy credits equivalent to their total office power use
- planting trees through the Trees for the Future program
- donating used computer equipment to Free Geek and other similar programs for reuse, recycling, and technology education for the disadvantaged
- implementing in-office recycling and waste reduction programs including reducing printing, paperless billing, battery recycling, and providing employees with reusable bottles
Overview of Hosting Packages
Dotster offers a variety of hosting plans, including shared Linux- or Windows-based hosting and VPS hosting. This enables you to upgrade your plan as your website grows, instead of having to shop for a new web host.
The shared Linux hosting plans are the most popular plans Dotster offers.
Their basic hosting plan includes:
- Linux-based shared hosting
- Unlimited disk space
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Hosting for 1 domain/website
- Unlimited subdomains
- 100 email accounts
- 10 MySQL databases
- 1GB of free cloud storage
- Drag-and-drop site builder
- One-click WordPress installation
- Free domain registration for 1 year with website coupon code
- vDeck control panel
The basic plan is only $3.75 per month.
Dotster’s live chat support is available 24/7, so you’ll always have someone there to help you. If you prefer email or telephone, Dotster is happy to accommodate. They also have a support ticket system. They do a great job keeping customers updated on maintenance and service alerts, plus they maintain an extensive searchable knowledgebase.
Dotster’s uptime is guaranteed at 99.99%, but they maintain a track record that surpasses it.
Dotster takes the risk out of choosing a hosting company by offering a full 30-day money back guarantee on their hosting services. If you’re hot happy with what they provide, you can cancel and get a full refund. After 30 days, they offer prorated refunds.
Who Is This Host Best for?
Dotster is a good choice for small- to mid-sized businesses who need not only a website but a suite of tools to help manage your online presence.
The bottom line: For flexibility, lots of goodies, and hosting with the features that you need, all at a very reasonable price, make sure you consider Dotster.