Located in the heart of California’s Silicon Valley, MochaHost has made providing “professional services at a well balanced price” its mission since 2002.
In addition to the standard hosting packages, MochaHost offers a unique one-two punch of service with a 180-day risk-free trial and lifetime pricing discounts, both of which help set this quirky, coffee-themed provider apart from its peers.
MochaHost offers four levels of hosting: Shared, Virtual Private Server (VPS), Reseller, and Cloud-based Dedicated. The shared level also includes specialized hosting packages optimized for the Java TomCat environment. All service tiers offer plans for both Windows and Linux Web servers.
Shared hosting from MochaHost is split into three packages: Soho, Business, and Mocha (both Windows and Linux).
- Free lifetime domain name (Business and Mocha plans only; restrictions apply)
- Unlimited* domains and sub-domains (single domain with the Soho plan)
- 50 GB/200 GB/Unlimited* drive space
- Unlimited* data transfer/bandwidth
- Unlimited* MySQL or MS SQL databases (50 databases with Linux Soho plan/10 databases with Windows Soho plan)
- 100% uptime guarantee
- Support for Unlimited* email accounts and webmail. (IMAP and POP3)
- Free 24/7 U.S.-based customer support via email/phone/chat
- Dedicated IP address (included with Buzz Premier, optional with Buzz Light and Buzz Power; additional fees apply)
- Free, template-based website builder with more than 500 templates and a free mobile site
- Automatic server backups
- Softaculous one-click installer for adding applications and scripts
- cPanel (Linux) or WebsitePanel (Windows) user control panel
- Full support for:
- eCommerce (CubeCart, osCommerce, Zen Cart, Agora Cart, et al.)
- Free 128-bit shared Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificate
- PHP 5
- Ruby on Rails
- Secure Shell (SSH) access
- Server-Side Includes (SSI)
- ASP.NET (Windows only)
- Internet Information Services (Web Server) (Windows only)
- Multimedia streaming
Support for the open-source Java TomCat environment is included with Business and Mocha plans, or you can choose from among three dedicated, TomCat-optimized plans (two Linux, one Windows; fees and services are comparable to standard shared hosting).
MochaHost’s money-back guarantee is a little different than those found with other hosting providers. They offer either a prorated 180-day money-back guarantee, or a 30-day non-prorated money-back guarantee (based on if and when you choose to end your service) for all plans. In addition, you can add a variety of services and application licenses for a fee.
Virtual Private Server (VPS) Hosting Features
If you’re ready to move beyond simple shared hosting, or you want more extensive control over your Web server, MochaHost has 12 VPS plans (six Windows, six Linux) from which to choose. These plans add dedicated CPUs, guaranteed resources and other enhancements to the basic shared hosting options.
- Your own virtual Linux or Windows server, with:
- Full root access to your server for application installation/customization
- Dedicated multi-core CPU, running at up to 4.2 GHz
- Up to 3.5 GB of dedicated RAM
- Up to 230 GB of storage space
- Unlimited* monthly bandwidth
- Unlimited* email accounts with webmail and POP3 (1,000 accounts with Burst plan)
- Pro-active, 24/7/365 managed hosting and support
- Up to 4 dedicated IP addresses
- File Transfer Protocol (FTP) access for your server
- Hundreds of additional applications and scripts available
- Basic VPS panel included with all plans
- Free cPanel or WebSitePanel license (excludes basic VPS plan)
MochaHost’s reseller plans are also hosted in this tier. They are very similar in price and features, but offer greater power and RAM. They also include free SSL certificates, cPanel and WHM (or WebSitePanel and MS WebMatrix for Windows plans), a reseller account, and slots for extra dedicated IP addresses (up to 24, Linux plans only), as well as billing software and to support reseller and eCommerce functions.
Three TomCat-optimized reseller plans are also available for those who need a Java-friendly environment for their site.
Both VPS and reseller hosting are covered by MochaHost’s 180-day money-back guarantee and 30-day money-back guarantee. As with shared plans, a bevy of additional scripts, add-ons and other resources (including SEO services and Web design) are available to purchase.
Dedicated Hosting Features
MochaHost’s dedicated hosting plans are perfect for anyone who needs absolute control and enhanced security for their Web server. The servers offered with these 12 plans (six Windows, six Linux) are cloud-based and highly customizable.
- Your own Linux or Windows server, with:
- A selection of features and perks from the lower tiers
- Free initial setup
- Total root access for your server
- Up to eight dedicated IP addresses (additional IP addresses can be purchased, up to a total of 32)
- Dedicated processors running with up to 4 cores and at speeds up to 2.26 GHz
- Up to 16 GB of RAM (up to six included with plans; additional RAM must be purchased)
- Up to 500 GB of storage space (additional drives and space available for purchase)
- Unlimited* monthly traffic
- Fully managed hosting and support
- Choice of cPanel and WHMCS, WebSitePanel, or Plesk management panel (additional fees may apply)
- SSL certificates available for purchase
- Online backup tool included
- Multiple RAID configurations available (additional fees apply)
*As a rule, “unlimited” in the context of shared hosting generally denotes “limitless until you negatively impact server performance, at which point you may be billed or transferred to a more costly service tier.”
MochaHost’s dedicated plans are covered by the same 180/30-day money-back guarantees as its other plans. Multiple upgrades to RAM, processor power, storage and application support (including advanced eCommerce support) are available for purchase as well.
There’s no doubt that MochaHost offers a wide range of highly configurable hosting options, and the unusual 180-day money-back guarantee definitely sets the company apart from its competition. The extensive array of available applications (particularly for Linux plans) is impressive, and the lifetime discounts are a nice touch for those who like to plan ahead.
Pricing and power are comparable to other providers at all levels, and the cloud-based dedicated tier offers more bang for the buck than many hardware-driven dedicated solutions.
The availability of both Linux and Windows-based plans (and plenty of available upgrades and add-ons for both) makes MochaHost a solid choice for anyone looking to build a powerful site for either platform.
MochaHost’s cornucopia of options, add-ons and assorted services make for a hosting experience with nearly infinite customizations, but for Web neophytes or those looking for simple, out-of-the-box hosting solutions, the provider’s site might prove to be information overkill (particularly on the plan comparison pages).
The plans on offer do include a wide range of features and supported apps, but keep an eye out for little fees (e.g., additional dedicated IP addresses, SSL certificates, reseller add-ons) that can add up quickly when you’re configuring your server.
MochaHost offers a very solid and affordable selection of plans and features, along with a truly unbeatable guarantee. But just like at your local coffee shop, little add-ons and upgrades can add up quickly, so make sure you’ve got a firm grasp on your hosting needs and budget before you place your order.