Combining the most popular features of many popular providers—a range of plans, from ultra-basic hosting to high-powered, dedicated servers; eco-friendliness; premium support and add-ons—with extremely affordable prices, iPage seeks to set itself apart from the competition with its well-rounded approach to hosting.
iPage offers the three basic levels of hosting: Shared (called “iPage Essential” by iPage), Virtual Private Server (VPS), and Dedicated. The company uses Linux-based servers for all three tiers, and its plans use the “unlimited everything” model.
- Free domain for one year
- Unlimited* domains and sub-domains
- Unlimited* drive space
- Unlimited* data transfer/bandwidth
- Unlimited* MySQL databases
- Support for Unlimited* email addresses and webmail (IMAP and POP3)
- Free 24/7 U.S.-based customer support via Web/phone/email
- User-generated backups (via utility)
- Daily server backups
- A free template-based website builder (up to six pages)
- Free shared SSL certificate
- Web hosting control panel
- Free toll-free number (U.S. customers only)
- Full support for:
- eCommerce (osCommerce, Agora Shopping Cart, ShopSite Cart, PayPal)
- Content management software (WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, etc.)
- Server-Side Includes
- Multimedia streaming
- Google Webmaster tools
*As a rule, “unlimited” in the context of shared hosting generally denotes “limitless until you negatively impact server performance, at which point you may be billed or transferred to a more costly service tier.”
The shared hosting tier also includes a complimentary Yellowpages.com listing and an “anytime” money-back guarantee. You also have access to a la carte add-ons for eCommerce, scripting, website management, as well as marketing services (additional fees may apply).
Virtual Private Server (VPS) Hosting Features
Need more precise control over your server or more power to support your high-traffic or eCommerce site? iPage offers three different VPS plans: “Basic,” “Business,” and “Optimum.”
- Your own semi-private virtual Linux server, with:
- The same standard features available in shared plans
- Up to a quad-core Intel® Xeon™ processor
- Up to 8 GB of dedicated RAM
- Up to 120 GB of storage space
- Up to 4 TB of monthly traffic
- Two dedicated IP addresses (a single IP is included with the “Basic” plan)
- Full root access to your server and operating system (OS)
- Enhanced cPanel VPS management control panel
- Guaranteed RAM allotment
- Mirrored SAN storage
- Added support for:
- PHP 5
- Ruby on Rails
- FrontPage Extensions
- Additional multimedia streaming
iPage’s VPS plans are scalable, so you can change your plan from month to month if your traffic surges or drops. VPS solutions are also covered by iPage’s anytime money-back guarantee.
Dedicated Hosting Features
If you’re looking for iron-clad security, want total control over your hardware and software, or have a website that’s growing by leaps and bounds, then iPage’s three dedicated hosting plans (“Startup,” “Professional,” and “Enterprise”) are definitely worth a look.
- Your own physical Linux server, with:
- All of the basic features of the lower tiers
- Intel® Xeon™ processors up to 3.7 GHz (quad core)
- Up to 16 GB of RAM
- Up to 1 TB of storage space
- Up to 15 TB of monthly traffic
- Up to five free dedicated IP addresses
- Total root access for your server
- Free enhanced cPanel/WHM license
- Managed hosting, customizable to meet your needs
iPage’s dedicated hosting plans are covered by the company’s anytime money-back guarantee.
iPage seeks to bring a little bit of everything to the hosting experience, while keeping prices not only competitive, but extremely affordable at the introductory levels.
Little perks such as 100% “green” hosting (the company purchases twice as much wind energy as it consumes from the power grid and is EPA certified as a Green Power Partner), U.S.-based technical and customer support, and anytime money-back guarantee are nice touches.
The various “wizards” offered at the shared level can help even the most resistant Luddite set up a professional and effective website with ease, and the step-by-step tutorials add an extra dimension of support on top of the ’round-the-clock support services found on all tiers.
In seeking to create an attractive collage of hosting services at affordable prices, iPage is forced to leave out a few you might expect to find as standard components of your plan, particularly at the shared hosting level.
These include, but aren’t limited to: cPanel support (shared plans use the company’s proprietary site-based control panel); a stand-alone application installer (many applications and scripts normally supplied as a part of Fantastico or Softaculous either incur additional fees to install, are replaced by “wizards,” or are missing altogether); and support for applications like PHP, Perl and Ruby on Rails (support for these applications is included with VPS and dedicated hosting).
Also, because iPage is a Linux-only hosting provider, it may not be the right solution for you if your site requires support for Windows applications, or you plan to add or develop applications that require ASP.NET or other Windows-based languages.