So you’ve managed to achieve a good flow of traffic, but you don’t have the revenue to back it up. What’s going on? It’s time to optimize for conversions and cast a critical eye on more than traffic numbers, but how your visitors behave when on your site. These resources will help you measure, understand, and covert your traffic into revenue-building users.
When it comes to online revenue, it’s all about conversions. Turn casual visitors into buyers and subscribers with these conversion tools. Note: most of these are paid tools, but many of them have free trials.
- Website Conversion Calculator: Estimate your conversion rate based on visitor and order data with this calculator.
- FeedbackArmy: Run affordable usability tests on your website, using real, human visitors.
- UserVue: If you’re really serious about improving your conversion rates, you can try a service like LuckyOrange. It will allow you to watch video recordings of users’ mouse movements on your site, so you can instantly see what works and what doesn’t.
- Hitslink: With Hitslink, you can get web based real-time tracking and reporting as well as conversion tracking for PPC campaigns. You can also set up tracking for specific events like promotions and downloads.
- KissMetrics: Track user behaviour across multiple devices. KissMetrics is ideal for high volume sites.
- Foresee Results: Get Foresee Results to watch a video of where your users go, which allows you to find out where they get bored or give up. This tool works on desktop and mobile.
- WebTrends: Use WebTrends to increase engagement and conversion rates through feedback on marketing, content, and usability.
- CrazyEgg: Get heatmaps of your site to find out where people are clicking most.
- UserTesting.com: Pay real users to visit your site and feed back about their experience.
- Cognesia: Use data about your customers to inform your marketing campaigns.
- iPerceptions: Learn about your visitor’s experience with this tool that seeks out answers to visitor satisfaction questions.
- Clickfox: Use Clickfox to take your customer data and turn it into a visual map that reveals customer behavior and motivation.
- 5 Ways to Prevent Cart Abandonment: Work through these bonus tips to stop visitors abandoning charts at checkouts.
Keep tabs on who is visiting your page, how often they’re visiting, and what’s most popular with these web statistics tools.
- Google Analytics: Google Analytics is a must have for any webmaster or blogger. Clear and concise reports let you know who is visiting your site and from where, letting you use that important information to improve your site.
- AWStats: Get your log information in easy-to-read format with this valuable open source tool.
- Woopra: Create a profile for every website visitor in this real time analytics tool.
- Compete: Find out how your traffic stats stack up to others with this competitive analysis tool.
- ShinyStat: Monitor your conversions in real time with this tool.
- StatCounter: This free hit counter and Web stats tool will help you keep track of the number of people your site attracts and what you can do to keep them coming back.
- AddFreeStats: Keep tabs on your visitors with this tracking tool. Find out how many people visit your website, when they come, and how they found you. You’ll also being able to add your site to the AddFreeStats directory.
- OneStat: For a low monthly fee, get detailed and professional grade reports on visitor behavior, search engines, and how well your ads are functioning with the tracking company OneStat.
- VisitorVille: Get great features and a fun, game-like interface from this statistics tool.
- Clicky: Use Clicky for simple, illustrated, and easy to digest stats.
- ClickTale: Find out who’s visiting your site, what they’re doing, and how you can improve.
- Alexa: Alexa is a popular Web tracker that allows users to track their traffic and links. You’ll also be able to examine site visitors using graphs and lists contained in an easy-to-use toolbar.
- TrafficEstimate: Get a quick estimate of the traffic your site, or any other site, is getting with this easy-to-use tool.
- pMetrics: Get detailed statistics on every visitor to your site and more features than any other stat site at pMetrics.
- WebSTAT: Get this cheap, easy tool to track analytics for your business or non-profit.
- Nielsen Net Ratings: Check out Nielsen to compare your web analytics with other sites in your industry.
- Site Meter: One of most popular web stats sites, Site Meter can give you tracking results on the number of visitors, views, and geographic information.
- Mint: Mint provides stats that can help you identify what parts of your site visitors are most interested in, plus loads of other features.
- FEEDJIT: Get real-time stats on your web traffic, including where your visitors are coming from and what they’re looking for, with FEEDJIT.
- W3Counter: Add this free counter to your website or blog and access real time reports.
- W3Perl: Analyze your existing log files to find out what’s happened on your site so far.
- URLTrends: Get weekly or monthly updates on your site’s stats with URLTrends.
- Opentracker: Opentracker offers services which include reporting of customer behavior and traffic statistics
- VisiStat: For real-time tracking with campaign management, keyword analysis, maps, and visitor reports, check out VisiStat.
- GoStats: Whether you’re looking for a free service or a professional solution, GoStats can provide you with the web statistics you need.
- FeedBurner: Track visitors to your RSS feed, and find out how your content is being consumed.
- Jetpack for WordPress: Connect your blog to WordPress’ stats engine to find out how many visitors you’ve had.
Visitor Behavior Tools
It’s one thing to learn about how visitors get to your site, but it’s another to find out what they’re doing once they get there. Check out these behavior trackers to step up the usability and retention of your site.
- Crazy Egg: Supplement your analytics with some cool visuals. Crazy Egg will give you heat maps, lists, and overlays to let you know everything that’s going on with your site.
- MoveMetrics: With this map-based analytics tool, you’ll be able to see where visitors go, what they do, how products relate, and a lot more.
- iWebTrack: Get buying trends, visitor activity, system behavior and more with iWebTrack.
- IBM Coremetrics: Get actionable information on effectiveness, marketing, and visitor visualization with Coremetrics.
- Deep Log Analyzer: Find out everything from how many visitors fill out your form to where they live with the Deep Log Analyzer.
- HotJar: Get heatmaps, user visit recordings, survey tools and funnel analysis from one tool.
- Clicktale: Get a video representation of what your visitors are doing on your site to better understand their behavior and take action on usability.
- Mouseflow: Track visitors on your site, and replay their sessions in video format.
- SkyGlue: A third party service that accesses your Google Analytics data and displays useful insights from it.
Many of the tools we’ve mentioned so far are geared towards general web use. Check out this collection to get tools that are specially designed to analyze and improve traffic and conversions for your blog.
- FeedBurner: Bring more subscribers into your blog by creating your own feed with FeedBurner. Additionally, you’ll be able to track your viewers and subscribers.
- Social Metrics Tracker: Use this WordPress plugin to track views across social sites like Facebook and Reddit.
- GTMetrix: Is your blog slow? Use this tool to check.
- HootSuite: Schedule and share your blog content with this semi-automated social tool.
- Buffer: Line up a series of social media updates to publicise your best content across different channels.
- UserSumo: Give your WordPress users real time conversion data, to show them which products are popular and encourage them to buy.
- Bloom: Prompt users to sign up to your mailing list by presenting attractive pop-ups.
- GetConversion: Use these plugins to improve the call to action buttons on your blog.
- Nelio A/B Testing Plugin: Easily run A/B tests on WordPress to improve your conversions.
Articles, Guides and Case Studies
Once you’ve got the stats, read these informative pieces to find out what to do about them.
- 5 Keys to Improving Website Conversions: Here you’ll find 5 simple things you can do that will make a big difference in the success of your web venture.
- 27 Tricks to Boost Blog Post Conversions: Jeff Bullas explains how to convert blog readers into paying customers using pop-ups and other tactics.
- 13 Ways to Increase Your Conversion Rate Right Now: Use these easy tips to get started with conversion optimization.
- How Do I Improve My Website Conversion Rate?: Check out this multi-part guide by Steve Jackson on improving conversion rates to help your website make a bigger impression on visitors.
- 101 Conversion Tips to Help Improve Your Website: This Kissmetrics blog offers 101 quick, snappy tips that you can use to hone your website.
- Are You Into Internal Site Search Analysis? You Should Be: Learn why it’s important to find out what visitors are searching for once they get inside your site.
- 5 Actionable Analytics Reports for Internal Site Search: This Moz.com article incudes detailed steps on using search terms to inform your campaigns.
- Mint and iPhone: Two great tastes that taste great together: Check out this guide from TUAW that runs down how to use the Mint tracking tool on the iPhone.
- Split Testing 101: Learn how to use A/B testing to figure out what works on your website.
- Negotating a Web Analytics Vendor Contract? Check SLAs: Learn why it’s vital to pay attention to Service Level Agreements when negotiating a web analytics vendor contract.
- The Definitive Guide to Conversion Optimization: This detailed guide was co-authored by marketing expert Neil Patel.
- 5 Ways Google Analytics Can Help Increase Traffic to Your Website: Check out these techniques for analysis that work not just for Google Analytics, but most analytics packages out there.
- What Should I Test on My Landing Pages?: If you want to get into A/B testing, this guide breaks down the different things you can test.
- Blog Conversion: How Do You Get Users to Subscribe?: This article is in response to a reader question about increasing subscriptions. It gives some great advice on how to modify your website.
- 17 Best Practices for Crazy-Effective Call to Action Buttons: Learn how to craft the perfect CTA button.
- Killer Strategies to Improve Facebook Conversion Rate: Make better use of your advertising budget and improve results from Facebook.
- Turning Browsers Into Buyers: Take a look at this article from Inc Magazine to get some useful guidance from leading webmasters who made subtle changes to their sites and saw big payoffs.
- Call to Action Best Practices: Find out how big brands use CTAs to increase conversions.
- A Beginner’s Guide to Lead Conversion with Social Media: Figure out how to convert potential customers who find your site via social media.
- Kick Butt With Internal Site Search Analytics: Learn how to make the most out of this powerful customer intent tool with this article.
- What is Inbound Marketing?: Expand your marketing campaigns with a full inbound strategy. This guide explains what inbound marketing can do for your website.
- 6 Lesser Known Ideas to Improve Conversion Rates: This article includes some interesting hints that offer a different perspective.
- How to Write Product Descriptions that Convert: Improve your description copy and see your conversion rates soar.
For ongoing advice and commentary on web stats, conversions, and user behavior, check out these blogs.
- The Conversion Chronicles: This blog can give you guidance, case studies, resources and tools to help your site be more profitable.
- ConversionXL Blog: Read conversion optimization articles from some industry experts here.
- The Conversion Doctor Blog: Get some Website advice from Eric Graham on how to improve your conversions, usability, and marketing success.
- Unbounce Blog: Improve user engagement with helpful tips and guides from Unbounce.
- Neil Patel’s blog: Read in-depth tips and work through guides from the founder of Kissmetrics, Crazy Egg and QuickSprout.
- Conversion Rater: This blog is full of ideas and tips on how to improve your conversion rate and turn idle browsers into customers or subscribers.
- Moz.com Blog: Read user-contributed content about inbound marketing from some of the best brains in the business.
- LunaMetrics: Learn how to increase your conversion rate with advice and articles from LunaMetrics, a company that specializes in using web analytics to help companies make more sales.
- Web Metrics Guru: Learn everything you ever wanted to know about web traffic, online marketing and social media with this blog.
- Occam’s Razor: Independent consultant Avinash Kaushik blogs about web analytics from his own personal experience and expertise.
- HubSpot Blog: HubSpot publishes a range of content on different marketing topics.
- Convert.com Blog: Read articles about split testing and optimization.
- WhatUsersDo Blog: Get deep insight into user behavior, focusing on experience and usability.
- Web Analysis, Behavioral Targeting and Advertising: Learn about targeted analysis on this blog.
- ROI Revolution Blog: Get all the information you need on Google Analytics on this blog from ROI Revolution.
- Web Analytics Demystified: Based around the successful book of the same name, these three bloggers give advice on how to make analyzing your site easier and more productive.
These associations, forums, and other discussion platforms will help you connect with others who are knowledgeable about web analytics.
- Web Analytics: An Hour a Day: Read this book from analytics expert Avinash Kaushik for insight on data collection and understanding visitors.
- Analysis Exchange: Access web analytics training and get free analysis tools for non-profit organizations.
- Digital Analytics Association: This professional association for web analytics developers and entrepreneurs provides standards, advocacy, and a lot more.